Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Yummy Apple, Strawberry and Rhubarb Crisp

This is another recipe that I really love.  I also don't feel particularly guilty for indulging because it's mostly healthy with just a bit of sugar to take away the tartness of the fruit.  The apples and strawberries do a great job of balancing out the rhubarb without adding too much sugar.  It's particularly delicious when you warm it up and top it off with ice cream.  I realize that the ice cream takes away a bit of the healthy factor but you can always treat yourself with a piece topped with ice cream and eat the rest plain!  It's delicious on its own as well.

I always double this recipe because we manage to gobble it up really quickly.  It's not that hard to make but I would rather just get through coring, peeling and slicing the apples at one time rather than a couple times.  It's not my favourite thing to do.  Here's the recipe.  It's another recipe from the LooneySpoons cookbook by Janet and Greta Podleski. 

Apple, Strawberry and Rhubarb Crisp

Topping
3/4 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 tablespoons reduced-fat butter or margarine melted (not fat-free)

Fruit
3 cups peeled and sliced Granny Smith apples
1-1/2 cups sliced strawberries
1-1/2 cups sliced rhubarb
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons orange juice
1-1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
  • Combine all topping ingredients in a medium bowl until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.  Set aside.
  • Combine all fruit ingredients in a large bowl.  Mix well.  Spray a shallow 11 X 8-inch baking dish with non-stick spray.  Pour in fruit and spread evenly.  Sprinkle topping over fruit.  Bake, uncovered, for 35-40 minutes, until fruit is tender and topping is golden brown.  Best served warm or at room temperature.
Make 6 servings.

Per Serving: 248 calories, 4.2 g fat

Notes:
  • I use frozen sliced strawberries and rhubarb.  It saves time and is so much easier.  The quality of the frozen fruit is also consistent whereas I have mixed results when it comes to buying strawberries in particular. 
  • As I mentioned, I often double the recipe. It freezes well although we actually ate it all this time so there was no need to freeze half!  I use two separate baking dishes when I double it.  I might try making one large crisp next time around. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh… I’m not even a dessert kind of girl, but I don’t think I could pass this up! Your photos are making me drool!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails